In a global society based on fossil fuels we are hit by at least two factors preventing the perpetual use of them:
- We destroy the planet’s climate and ecosystems including ourselves
- We will eventually run out of fossil fuels and the costs of extraction will be massively larger than the value we create by using them.
Sector coupling will be one of the concepts and modes of operating that will ensure that we:
- Can apply and utilise renewable energy at full scale in all sectors of society
- Don’t destroy the planet and ourselves
- Can continue our comfortable modern lives perpetually on this planet (provided many other environmental issues are solved apart from energy supply).
Basically, the transition away from fossil fuels in all energy end-uses is a struggle of securing current ways and benefits of our modern lives while hopefully halting climate change and the destruction of the Earth’s ecosystems.
... to continue reading you must be subscribed