Loading...
Loading...
Market report: Hydrogen demand in fuel cell applications
Market report: Hydrogen demand in fuel cell applications

Market report: Hydrogen demand in fuel cell applications

Karina Kocha is Business Intelligence Manager at gasworld, H2 View’s sister publication.

In our North American Merchant Hydrogen Research, which gasworld has conducted in 2021, we divided the demand for hydrogen into traditional (comes from traditional industries) and new (from new industries). Our study revealed that more than 80% of US merchant hydrogen demand still comes from traditional industries such as chemicals, refining, metallurgy, electronics, etc, while the remaining 20% of demand predominantly comes from new, but growing, sectors of economy. The share of new industries in the structure of Canada’s hydrogen demand is only 2%, while traditional demand dominates, accounting for 98% of all merchant hydrogen consumed in the country.

If we look further into new markets for hydrogen, it is now mostly hydrogen fuel cells that are used to power vehicles, including forklifts, cars, buses and boats. As well as stationary power sources on hydrogen fuel cells for the main and backup power supply of commercial, industrial, residential buildings, as well as remote facilities in hard-to-reach areas.

Material handling

... to continue reading you must be subscribed

Subscribe Today

To gain access to this article and all our other content, you will need to subscribe to H2 View.

From the latest print editions, to 24/7 online access to exclusive interviews, authoritative columnists and the H2 View news archive, a subscription is the best way for you to stay up to date with developments in the hydrogen community.

Please wait...