More than two-thirds of Germans rate green hydrogen as future energy source

More than two-thirds (69%) of Germans rate green hydrogen as Europe’s energy source of the future, according to a recent thyssenkrupp nucera survey.

More than half of decision makers (61%) and 81% of executives from the energy sector are also backing green hydrogen, the survey – conducted among 5,000 citizens by opinion research institute Civey – found.

The top reasons for establishing green hydrogen from the German perspective are lower dependence on energy imports (56%), better climate protection (51%), and greater security of energy supply (40%)

Three-quarters of the German population (74%) and decision-makers from industry (75%) demand greater promotion of carbon free hydrogen from EU policymakers.

Key areas of support cited stable prices for renewable energies (34%), reduction of bureaucracy / legislative reforms (35%), and planning and investment security (33%).

SPD voters have great confidence in green hydrogen (83%) while among CDU/CSU voters, the acceptance is around 75%. Among voters for the Left Party and the AfD, only one in two.

The German population expects green hydrogen above all to provide greater security of energy supply through reduced import dependency (56%) and a continuously guaranteed supply of energy (40%).

In addition, the respondents believe that this energy source contributes to climate protection (51%). Almost every second respondent (48%) is also convinced that green hydrogen is necessary for the conversion to a carbon free industry.

Moreover, the decision-makers from industry emphasise the reduced dependence on imports for energy supply (46%) as well as climate protection (35%). In line, the energy sector also focuses on reduced import dependency (73%), followed by climate protection (59%).

The importance of carbon free hydrogen is associated with a high level of responsibility on the part of policymakers to remove existing hurdles that inhibit the establishment of this energy source.

Three quarters of the German population (74%) and industry decision-makers (75%) call on EU policy-makers to promote green hydrogen more strongly. Again, SPD voters (almost 90%) are calling for greater support, while AfD and left-wing voters are much less in favor, at less than 60% in each case.

For industry executives, planning and investment security (36%) and bureaucracy reduction/legislative reforms (36%) are the most important promoters of green energy. Decision-makers from the energy sector highlight bureaucracy reduction and legislative reforms (59%) as well as planning and investment security (45%).

Dr. Werner Ponikwar, CEO der thyssenkrupp nucera AG & Co. KGaA, said the survey results underline the huge importance of green hydrogen as the energy carrier of the future for Europe.

He said, “As we see, Germans and industry decision-makers want this carbon free energy source. By using green hydrogen, decarbonization, especially of carbon-intensive heavy industry, can be advanced quickly and efficiently. This would be such an urgently needed contribution to improving the climate. For us to succeed, everyone in society, politicians, and industry, must play their part.”

The survey follows a recent Reuters report that Germany can only meet 30% of its own needs for green hydrogen, putting the government on a quest for trade partners to deliver the remaining 70%. The country, targeting 5GW of industrial hydrogen capacity by 2030, recently closed down its last three nuclear reactors (click here).

Seven companies are combining their hydrogen projects in northwest Germany to support industrial consumption.

bp, Gasunie, Nowega, NWO, Salzgitter, Thyssengas and Uniper, under the new alliance, will look to use Wilhelmshaven as a hydrogen import and production location to supply industrial consumption centres in North Rhine-Westphalia and Lower Saxony.

Read more:  Northwest German hydrogen alliance formed to support industrial consumption

About the author
Related Posts
Loading feed...
Please wait...